Overall budget1,5 M€
- The goal of the project is to enhance the integration of wind power plants by developing a promising power electronic equipment focused on network stability, able to control active and reactive power, and including an energy storage system.
- Specifically, based on the policies specifications for renewable integration and the business opportunity in high power systems, the determinations of the SMARES project are to design, manufacture, test, validate and certify a turnkey modular multilevel converter with power output up to 6MVA.
- Led by Green Power Technologies (GPTech).
- Funded by the ERA-Net Smart Grid Plus initiative.
The operational demonstrator will take place in a Portuguese Wind Power Plant belonging to EDP Renewables. The operation and performance of the converter will be closely monitored to evaluate its impact on the improvement of the power quality, thus validating the purpose of the technology.
NEW R&D’s scope
- NEW R&D will be involved throughout the project. Working together with our partners in the project and in collaboration with EDP Renewables and EDP Distribuição, NEW R&D will lead tasks aiming to define the use cases, identify the applicable grid codes, choose and prepare the wind park and promote site acceptance tests.